Monday, May 19, 2014

I'm a Mormon


I don't know if anyone is even reading my blog but it has been such a good release for me. When you have 5 children you find yourself wondering," who am I? "What do I like to do?" You tend to loose your identity in the service you are giving to your family. This blog has helped me during those times. I know that I LOVE food. This has never been a question. As Im getting older and my metabolism is slowing down I wish that food wasn't as important to me (just kidding). Food is AWESOME!!

One thing I've realized in re reading my blog is that I haven't posted lots of personal things on here.  So this is me being personal. I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. I have such a strong testimony of it's truthfulness. I am grateful for the happiness it has brought to me in my life. I know that I am a daughter of God. I know that he loves me and I love him (SO MUCH). My church started a website about mormons. Its called I'm a Mormon. I love watching these small clips. They are about normal people living the best that they can. They tell of their struggles and their achievements. I've often wondered what my movie would look like. What I could say if they wanted to document my life. This is what I think mine would look like.

I'm the one in the pink. The 3rd of seven kids. 
My mom and dad had 7 children by the time they were 30 years old. I was number 3. We had so much fun growing up in a big family. We always had someone to play with. My parents were and still are amazing. They taught us so much. We were the family that drove in the huge 18 passenger van (ours was all white). We very rarely ate out but if we did we had so many people watching us. Those that were brave would ask my parents if we were all theirs. It was kind of fun.  We loved going on Sunday drives exploring the areas that we lived in. We saw the coolest places in Alabama and Georgia that I will never forget. Old grave yards found down old abandon roads. The sun
light going through the trees made it look almost eerie but very beautiful. I'm sure they were graves from the civil war. Fun memories

I am an expert MOVER. My parent moved 21 times (Las Vegas, St. George Utah, Provo Utah, Sacrmento CA, Hartsell Alabama, Macon GA to name a few) in their married life (my Dad was an accountant not in the army). Their last move was when I was 12 years old. My husband and I have moved 12 times in 13 years. If anyone needs help moving they should call me. I know how to get free boxes. I seriously should write an ebook!! :) The good thing about moving so much is that I have friends all over the country. The bad thing is that it's time to move again when I make new friends.

My husband and I have been married for 15 years. We were married in the St. George Utah Temple. I truly felt like a princess marrying my prince in our castle. It was a magical day for me. My husband and I dated for a year and a half before we were married. This is uncommon for most mormons but it was perfect for us. After we got married we made a handful of newly married friends and they really struggled that first year (because they didn't know each other very well).  Our first year of marriage was AWESOME. We had a blast because there were no surprises. We knew everything about each other and still loved each other. When my husband and I got married we wanted 8 children. Heavenly Father blessed us with 5 and we are so happy. Being a parent has been one of the hardest and most rewarding things Ive ever experienced.

I love pictures. I love taking them and looking at them. Im surprised by how many families don't take family pictures very often. They will say that they hadn't taken a picture with everyone for 10 years. WHAT?!! Thats crazy. Mostly its because of the cost of having it done. If you know me and live in my area know that I will take your family pictures for FREE. I think that pictures are another form of family history (journalling). They tell a story and are so important.


I love to run. It's always been "my" time. My time to think and enjoy the beauty of the area that we live in. I started to love running in Jr. High. In P.E. I was always in the top 3 to cross the finish line when running the mile. I loved the look on the boys faces when I passed them. I've been a runner ever since. I've competed in two marathons and one ½ marathon (while 5 months pregnant with my 5th child). I mostly try to get a couple miles in 2 to 3 times a week. It helps me to feel good about myself and gives me a time to myself (which doesn't happen often with a big family).  

I'm an Idealist which means I expect everything to be perfect (my home, my children, me with my church callings, my marriage, ME, etc). This has been a really hard thing for me because I'm NOT perfect. My house is never perfectly clean unless we are having company over and that only last for an hour or so.  My husband and I have disagreements. I gain weight when I eat bad and don't exercise. I am not perfect at doing my visiting teaching but wish I were, I have a hard time letting people see the real me because I fear they won't like what they see. SO DUMB but this is who i am. I recently was told to read a book called Believe in Christ.  It was written for me. It talks about the love the Savior (Jesus Christ) has for us and how he made up the difference in our imperfectness when he  died for us.  I've been taught this my whole life but it took me being at a point of a breakdown for me to understand it.  

I am so grateful that I belong to this church. I know that without it life would probably be fine but the blessings from living it have made my life GREAT. I have been so blessed. I know that families can be together for all eternity not till death do we part. I know that we all are Heavenly Father's children and he wants us to be happy.

My name is Melissa Miller Spelts. I'm a daughter, wife, mother, want a be photographer, cook, runner, daughter of god and Mormon.

1 comment:

  1. You are Awesome Mellissa!!!!!!! I want to be like you when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete