Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cup Cakes



O.k this was so much fun to make, because it tasted so good! My daughter was turning 6 and I knew that if I didn't make a "special" treat for myself, then I was going to go HOG WILD on her sugar filled cake. So, I played around with my cake recipe and like this one better than the other I posted (even though that one is still good) but anyway, I then found this recipe for Butter Cream Frosting and I love it! Tastes like real frosting. So enjoy, this one's awesome! - Lyndsie

Chocolate Cake
1 cup coconut crystals or 1/2 cup Agave
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2/3 cup of organic (aluminum free)cocoa powder
1& 1/2 cup buttermilk or unsweetened coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Preheat over to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the sugar with oil or butter until mixed well. Add the whole egg and egg whites one at a time. beating well after each one(like 1 to 2 min, it makes the cake lighter). Beat in cocoa powder, buttermilk, and vanilla.

Add flour, baking soda, and salt, and beat until smooth.
Pour batter into cups and bake for about 10-12 min or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool completely then frost.


Butter Cream Frosting
1 large egg white
1/4 cup agave
2 drops of stevia
6 Tbsp. butter or shortening( room temp and cut into smaller chunks)
Big pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Food coloring(to make pretty)

Whisk egg white together with Xylitol in a stainless steel bowl set over small sauce pan full of water. make sure the water and the bowl do not touch each other. Set heat to Med-Low and bring water to simmer. Whisk ingred. for 3-5 min or until Xylitol dissolves. pinch mixture to make sure it has dissolved. Mixture will be white and frothy. Remove from heat and mix until double in size and is room temperature. Beat in vanilla and salt. Add in chunks of butter or shortening. Mix until smooth. Add drop of stevia. If it is too loose put into freezer for a few minutes then mix until smooth again. I put my mixture in the freezer a couple of times. It melts fast so you want to frost your cupcakes fast them put into a container and refrigerate until the frosting hardens... then eat. You really just have to leave the cupcakes in the fridge other wise the frosting melts and doesn't harden to get that frosting consistency. Last about 4 or 5 days in the fridge.
* just a side note I doubled the frosting recipe(not the cake) and I was able to frost about 11 cupcakes. So next time I think I will triple the recipe.
http://www.healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment